Mugwort has a long history of use both as a culinary and medicinal herb.
- As a herbal remedy it is rich in vitamin C, calcium, and zinc. It has a bitter flavor when brewed as a tea, but is often consumed before sleep as it is said to help produce vivid dreams.
- Mugwort may be one of the most popular and powerful herbal tools in your magical tool kit. There are thousands of old spells and recipes that rely on its formidable power. Mugwort has a long history of magical use and is *generally very safe.
- The herb’s botanical name is Artemisia vulgaris, derived from the name of the Greek goddess Artemis. Magically, it is just as effective at repelling evil spirits as it is with other vampires – specifically – mosquitoes. Mugwort is associated with the moon and lunar deities, so using it for lucid and prophetic dreaming, divination, and strengthening psychic abilities is a no brainer.
Here are a few ways we like to use Mugwort:
For protection, mugwort is the perfect sweep perfect for banishing negative energy.
- Sweep your house thoroughly from back to front, sweeping all of the dust and debris out through your front door when you are through.
- Hold a handful of Mugwort and breathe your intention into it. Ask the Spirit of Mugwort for support.
- Add Mugwort to a bucket of clean water. Mop your home, moving from back to front.
- Don’t forget your doors and windowsills or other “entry points” to your home. Tip: Have carpets? No worries! Thoroughly vacuum your carpets, moving from back to front as if you were sweeping. Sprinkle mugwort over your carpets, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then vacuum again.
- When you are through, burn rosemary in your home. This invites your ancestors in to keep your home safe.
If you have energetic cooties, use Mugwort to cloak yourself with protection.
- Add mugwort to a pot of water to make a “tea”.
- Add to bath water, step in, and fully submerge yourself.
- When you are ready, step out and allow your skin to air dry.
For Dream Work
Want prophetic or lucid dreams? How about simply remembering your dreams?
Make a Mugwort dream pillow!
- Take two squares of cotton cloth, 6-8″ on a side.
- Make a flat pouch by sewing them together along three sides.
- Fill the pillow with mugwort, rose and star anise and sew it shut.
- Sit quietly holding your pillow. Feel, sense, imagine your desired results. Once done, breathe your intention into the pillow.
- Thank the herbs for their help and place the pillow on your bed. Before you go to sleep, inhale the fragrance of your Dream Pillow.
Regardless of your divination practice, mugwort can be your herbal assistant.
- For Scrying: Wash your tools in a tea made by steeping dried mugwort in water.
- Tarot, Runes or Bones: Burn mugwort and bay leaves to help heighten your psychic abilities and access the information you seek.
Mugwort is a sacred and powerful herb. Like all of your tools, treat her with respect and see what doors it can open for you!
*If you use this herb very often, take breaks of a week or so now and then to allow your body to rest. If you are pregnant or nursing, do not use it.
Latin Name: Artemisia vulgaris
Origin: United State
Form: Cut & Sifted
Plant Part: Root Leaves
ALL HERBS ARE SOLD BY OUNCE. ORGANIC OR ETHICALLY WILDCRAFTED.